Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Gettin' Older


Gettin' Older 

When I was growin’ up, it seemed to take forever for my birthday to come ‘round. Now that I’m older, birthdays come ‘round much too fast. April 11th I turn another year older.


 
Like it or not, we’re all gettin’ older. There are cosmetics that can hide our flaws. There are exercise programs to build strength ‘n keep us trim. There are books to help us know what we should eat.  But no matter what you do, gettin’ older  is gonna happen. It’s a part of life. 

As I get older, things are different.  My hair’s gettin’ gray – well my roots anyway.  My hips are wider ‘n look like parentheses.  I’m wearin’ trifocals.  Why, yesterday I got sea sick just tryin’ to read my emails. And I’ve noticed people don’t talk as loud as they used to.

Several years back, I read an article in a magazine that had pictures of the different body shapes by ages.  Age forty to fifty still looked purty good.  But things start goin’ downhill after fifty. 


 
I decided I wasn’t gonna look like that.  I didn’t want to look like Aunt Ulah Mae.  Then the other day when I stepped out of the shower, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  Page 24 of that magazine flashed before my eyes.  My upper arms had started to flap just like Aunt Ulah Mae’s.  Except hers are a lot flappier.  I knew that’s where mine were headed if I didn’t do somethin’ drastic. 

Now, I’ve been avoidin’ the gym for years – all that huffin’, puffin’, n’ sweatin’ isn’t for me.  But I realized to fight flab, that’s where I’d have to go.  I didn’t want to go by myself so, knowin’ Aunt Ulah Mae’s a good sport I asked her to go with me.  I stretched, tugged, and pulled things I didn’t know I had and I learned somethin’ very important.  You can’t walk on a treadmill in high heels! 
 

Lookin’ ‘round for Aunt Ulah Mae, I saw she was ridin’ one of ‘em bikes that don’t go nowhere but kicks up a breeze to keep you cool while you ride.   She got to peddlin’ so hard that the wind blew her arm flappies straight out.  They made me think of wings on an airplane.  It looked like she was gonna take off any minute.  When I finally got her off the bike, we got outta there.  We were both so sore the next day we couldn’t move.  That was our first and last trip to the gym!

Even though my body’s feelin’ older, I know God is still usin’ me to encourage others to hang onto their faith in an ever-changin’ world.


Psalm 71: 18 Now also when I am old and gray headed, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare your strength to this generation, your power to everyone who is to come.
 
Thank you Lord for givin' me these years. Help me to embrace them with grace. In the name of Jesus, amen.


Things to Think 'Bout:

1. Is your relationship with God growin'?

2. How to you look at yourself as you grow older?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment