Saturday, November 17, 2012

November Bein' Thankful Series: City Slicker


November Bein' Thankful Series: Thankful for Laughter
City Slicker

Cousin Horace was born ‘n raised in the big city of Chicago.  We were two years apart in our age.  Growin’ up, he ‘n his Mamma would come ‘n visit us for a couple of weeks in the summer.  Cousin Horace was kind of snooty ‘cause he was from a big city.  We loved to give him a hard time when he came to visit us in Frog Holler ‘n called him, City Slicker. 




He wore big city clothes ‘n laughed at our over-alls.  One time we talked Cousin Horace into learnin’ how to ride a bike.  He sat on the seat with me ‘n my sister on each side holdin’ on to the handlebars.  As Cousin Horace got a little more comfortable, we let him go.  He was headed right for the big mud- puddle this side of the fence.  Nothin’ was said yet ‘bout how to put on the brakes.  My sister ‘n I started yellin’, “Look out Cousin Horace!” He came to a full stop right in the middle of the mud-puddle.  His clothes were a mess! He was slicker than a greased pig! Every time he’d try to stand up, he’d slip right down again.  Mamma gave us a good talkin’ to ‘bout bein’ more careful with our guest. 

One summer we took Cousin Horace to the fishin’ pond.  He’d never fished before.  Some friends of ours went with us.  I showed him how to put the worm on the hook ‘n cast the line into the water.  Cousin Horace held on to the rod.  After awhile, he felt a tug on the line.  I ran over to grab his rod ‘n reel to pull the fish in.  Before I could get hold of it, Cousin Horace was yanked into the water.  He was wet ‘n the fish got away.  Cousin Horace was mad!

Mamma had a persimmon tree.  I remember the summer when I was sittin’ on the front porch with Cousin Horace.  He noticed the tree had a few persimmons on it ‘n asked what it was.  I told him.  Then he asked, “Are they good to eat?” I said, “Yep”.  He went over to the tree ‘n pulled off one of the persimmons ‘n took a big bite.  In all my born days, I’ve never seen a face like his! He ran ‘round the house ‘n grabbed the water hose.  I started runnin’ toward the holler ‘cause I knew I was gonna’ get into trouble! Mamma caught me before I got too far.  As she was tryin’ to scold me, I could see the laughter wantin’ to bust out.  Cousin Horace washed ‘n washed his mouth out.  Then he took a cloth ‘n kept wippin’ his tongue off.  He said, “Ya’ll have poisoned me!” After he calmed down, Mamma said, “Horace, you’re not poisoned.  The persimmons might look ripe on the outside, but they’re still green on the inside.  They don’t ripen ‘til frost gets on ‘em.  A green persimmon will turn your mouth inside out every time.”
 

Cousin Horace forgave us later on for the hard times we gave him. So thankful for the gift of laughter!

Ephesians 4:32  And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Lord, thank you for the gift of laughter 'n forgiveness. In the name of Jesus, amen.
Things To Think 'bout:
1. What are some things you remember doin' growin' up that were things you can look back on 'n laugh?
2. Do you laugh enough?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment