Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Is Your Light Shinin'?


Is Your Light Shinin'?
 
When I was growin’ up, Mamma kept a flashlight in every room of our house.  I asked her why we had so many, ‘n she said, “So we’ll have a light to see by when the power goes out.” The power used to go out a lot in Frog Holler.







I thought Mamma was goin’ a little overboard with so many flashlights, ‘til the night the big storm hit Frog Holler.  I was ‘bout 12 years old.  My sister ‘n I shared a bedroom.  When I wanted to be alone to read a book or somethin’, I went to our livin’ room, which was only used for company.  Mamma was real good ‘bout not lettin’ Ditsy Lou follow me in there, though she sure did try. 

When the storm came up so sudden, I wished someone was with me! One bright flash of lightin’ ‘n a loud crack of thunder at ‘bout the same time, the house went completely dark! I hollered real loud ‘n started stumblin’ in the dark lookin’ for that flashlight.  Finally, I found it.  I clicked the switch ‘n nothin’ happened.  The batteries had died.  I started hollerin’ for Mamma. 
Then I saw a light comin’ toward me.  It was Mamma with her flashlight.  She guided me by the beam of the flashlight back to the rest of my family.  After that night, I understood why Mamma had so many flashlights.  I even went ‘round checkin’ to make sure all the batteries were still good.



When I think back to that dark, scary night ‘n how the beam from the flashlight lit up the darkness, it reminds me that as Christians, our faith is supposed to light up the dark ‘n scary places of the world.

Matthey 5:16 Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
 
Lord, put a burden on our hearts to keep our "faith" batteries charged so our light will keep shinin' for you! In the name of Jesus, amen.
 
Things To Think 'bout:
1. What are you doin' to keep your "faith" batteries charged?
2. Is your light shinin' to others so they see Jesus?
 
www.janetharllee.net

www.simplysuespeaks.com

3 comments:

  1. Hello Mitsy Lou,

    Your momma had never heard of candles? :)

    Philippe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting your light shine.
    Blessings,
    Deborah H. Bateman-Author

    ReplyDelete