Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Daddy's Hard Work

Daddy's Hard Work
 
 
Daddy always worked in feed ‘n seed.  He loved workin’ with farmers.  It was hard work ‘n time consumin’.   Daddy was like a doctor on- call twenty-four seven.  Sometimes late at night, Daddy would get a call ‘n get up, go to the store, get what was needed, ‘n make the delivery.  Daddy worked hard for his family.  There were times he wouldn’t make it to me ‘n my sister’s piano recital or school plays.  We did look forward to his comin’ home after work ‘n wrestlin’ ‘n ticklin’ us.  Funny how you remember little things like that.  We knew he loved us! My sister ‘n I didn’t understand why Daddy worked so hard ‘til we got older. 



 

I remember goin’ to Daddy’s store ‘n helpin’ test the eggs.  We used a machine that had a hole in the middle.   A light was behind it.  We’d hold the egg up ‘n turn it ‘round in front of the light to see if the egg had blood in it.  Wow, you could see right through the egg!

 

I loved to watch the Feed Grinder! It was a big contraption! It looked like a big steel mixin’ bowl.  It had different size screens to fit on the motor so you could grind corn.  On one side of the bowl was a lid where you could put a sack or a bag ‘n corn would fill it.  On the other side of the bowl was a step ladder where you’d pour the corn into the motor.  When that thing was grindin’, bits of corn would fly out everywhere!   

 

Daddy went whole hog in whatever he did.  He worked for his family ‘n wanted the best.  At Daddy’s funeral, I got to meet some of the farmers he had worked with.  One man told me of the time when he couldn’t pay Daddy right away.  He said that Daddy delivered what he needed ‘n told him to pay him when he could.  Others remembered Daddy’s wit ‘n humor; his love for the Lord ‘n his family, friends, ‘n neighbors. 


Colossians 3:23  And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the
inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.
 
Things To Think 'bout:
 
1. How do you feel 'bout your work?
 
2. Do you work as to the Lord 'n not man?
 
Lord give us strength to know what's right 'n to work as we're workin' for you 'n not men. In the name of Jesus, amen.
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. A lesson I'm working on in myself. I always give everything my all, but I sometimes feel it is not appreciated. I've had times where I've worked hard to create a valuable article or free gift for my newsletter subscribers or my fan page memebers and nobody will comment or someone will email me asking why I didn't give away more for free. I even had several say I wasn't a good Christian because I don't give ALL my eBooks away for free. I have to remember that I'm doing what God asks of me and not for the praise of man.

    ReplyDelete