Saturday, May 7, 2011

Thanks Mamma


Mamma always says that life is more like just a closer stumble with thee. As I get older, I understand what she means.

Strength and honor are her clothing; she shall rejoice in time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, And on her tongue is the law of kindness. She watches over the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Proverbs 31:25-27

Remember Mamma say'n, "Don't do that", "Wash your hands", "Ya' have ta' share", "Time ta' get up", "Look at me when I'm talk'n ta' ya'", "Say please 'n thank ya'", and this one was a classic, "Rememb'r who ya' are." If you're a Mamma now, bet your say'n tha' same things.

Mamma's my hero! She pick'd me up when I fell, always had a hug for me, 'n taught me logic by sayin', "Because I said so, that's why." Mamma had to quit high school 'cause her Mamma died. She went ta' work ta' help put her two broth'rs 'n sister through school. Her two broth'rs became preach'rs.

Mamma croched 'n quilted, cann'd ev'r summ'r, 'n would always fix ev'rone's favorite food. She doesn't cook anymore. I miss the smell a' her Russian Tea, tha' taste 'a her egg custard pie 'n persimmon pudd'n dur'n tha' holidays.

We didn't have a lot a' material things, but I did learn right from wrong, how ta' respect oth'rs, 'n tha' value a' true friendship, love, 'n family. Mamma taught little childr'n in Sunday School for 54 years. She went through tha' loss a' her first baby, cradl'd two daught'rs, 'n got a write-up in tha' paper on her famous biscuits. Mamma surviv'd a depression 'n a husband comin' home aft'r serv'n in WWII.

At 96 years old, Mamma's still witness'n ta' others. Tha' older I get, tha' more I appreciate Mamma's sacrifice, her love, her pray'rs, her servant's heart, 'n tha' time I get ta' spend with her. They're treasur'd moments that'll last me a lifetime. Thanks Mamma for be'n tha' strong 'n determind'd woman ya' are. Thanks for ya' faith in God that's still strong ta'day.

Happy Mamma's Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment